DBA & OLAP Engineer
As a DBA and OLAP Engineer, you will be supporting our mission critical production database infrastructure and help drive success by leading the technical research and development needed to enable continuous innovation within our infrastructure. A candidate will possess ninja skills in architecting, scaling out, managing, and refactoring a complex ecosystem of databases built out on MySQL Enterprise and SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise platform. Communication and collaboration will include definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy, research and development within the project life-cycle, technical analysis and design, and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling out solutions. For a DBA and OLAP Engineer to be successful one must be effective in communicating the changes necessary to integrate new ideas within a complex ecosystem of data analytics. A candidate must also demonstrate critical thinking skills and thrive on the challenges faced with introducing change arising from our organization’s mission to improve stability, performance, and availability of our data infrastructure for a demanding 24x7x365 OLTP/OLAP environment.
- Act as primary point of contact for all things related to databases.
- Work with senior engineers to maintain a scalable, reliable, and robust database environment, involving performance tuning, query optimization, and index tuning.
- Provide recommendations and guidance to the application development team to drive best practices in application database interaction.
- Engage with engineers and data analysts on a regular basis to peer-review code and service requests for database changes.
- Propose and implement a data archiving strategy by collaborating with engineers and analysts.
- Implement process and database tools and scripts, embracing automation where possible, to continuously monitor health and ensure highly available databases.
- Implement methods to track performance and health trends of our databases. Collect performance metrics and aggregate statistics over time to identify bottlenecks.
- Recommend and implement improvements for serving the high demands in both read-only replication nodes and SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Maintain a technical run book enabling the operations team to share in 1st line DBA responsibilities.
- 3-5+ years of SQL Server 2008 experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in MySQL
- 2+ years working in a LAMP environment, particularly PHP/MySQL combination
- Implement T-SQL scripts and stored procedures
- Proficient with database performance strategies and tune MySQL/MSSQL processes and queries
- Replication technologies in MySQL, with both Master-Slave and Master-Master replication
- Linux and managing a RedHat Cluster with MySQL
- Replication features in SQL Server 2008 R2, transactional, peer-to-peer, and snapshot methods
- Experience with managing a Windows 2008 R2 Cluster implementation, including deployment and configuration
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- BS in Computer Science or relevant field
- .Net development experience
This opportunity will be managed by Novotus. If this position seems like a good fit for you, please apply through our online process and a Novotus Representative will be in touch with you soon with the next steps.