Duties performed will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Hands on, end to end administrator of the Oracle 10g/11g database platforms. Participates in complete application lifecycle management process including the planning, design, development, maintenance, and management of multi-terabyte databases in a 24/7 support environment.
• Participates in the development of long-term database strategies and objectives, standards and procedures for enterprise-wide systems.
• Helps ensure that the transactional databases have stable operating environments which consist of a high degree of data integrity, availability, performance, and recoverability.
• Monitors and maintains physical database structures for data integrity, database performance, quality, and recoverability, maintenance, and space requirements to maintain optimal service levels.
• Tunes the databases to meet service level agreements and ensures the effective utilization of enterprise system resources.
• Researches, evaluates, and coordinates software releases, system upgrades, enhancements, and software updates to ensure that client specifications and best practice guidelines are met.
• Encourages adoption of industry standards and best practices in support of very large databases and clustering on Oracle RAC 10g/11g databases.
• Standardizes database environments and evaluates reusability of current data for additional analysis, while maintaining integrity and confidentiality of information.
• Supports the team responsible for architecture, design, creation, monitoring, troubleshooting, and administration of all new and existing database systems.
• Ensures alignment with enterprise IT operations, applications development, and IT business units to understand and interpret on-going business needs, storage and reporting requirements, and emerging trends.
• Implements strategies and data models that translate business requirements into acceptable database designs.
• Database design deployments include the development of base definitions, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, and operational guidelines.
• Assists in enhancing governance and supports adoption of guidelines on data quality, stewardship, and data ownership.
• Supports the development, implementation, and monitoring of operational standards; including policies and procedures for database application development and database programming.
• Administrator maintains up-to-date knowledge of the following: DBMS internals and how they work in an OLTP environment; DBMS optimization and how queries and updates execute in an OLTP; writing of scripts to perform database administration functions; backup and recovery using backup scripts and Oracle Recovery Manager; and, security / access requests including verification and granting permissions.
• Follows change control policies and procedures.
• Attends conferences and develops relationships with professional organizations, peer groups, and industry trade groups to remain current on emerging technology and industry trends
Work Experience/Skills Requirements:
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Oracle/Oracle RAC database administration with both application development and production databases required.
• Proficiency in performance tuning, optimization techniques of large scale databases required.
• Ability to work independently and as part of the team, and share knowledge, information, and learning with Division staff.
• Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills .
• Experience with domain structures, user authentication, digital signatures, information security practices, security software packages, and security controls for the protection, integrity, and availability of all administered systems data, applications, networks, and databases required.
• Experience with installation and configuration of Oracle/Oracle RAC on Linux and Windows environments.
• Experience with Microsoft SQL server and interfacing/linking tables between Oracle and SQL Server.
• Interfacing and integrating applications data to meet business needs at an enterprise level preferred.
• Experience with Oracle RAC, RMAN backup utility, Oracle Enterprise Manager, SQL/PL-SQL and other software tools to maintain and improve the database environment required.
Education and/or Certification Requirements:
• Bachelor`s Degree in information science, data management, computer science, or related field required.
• Certified Oracle Professional - Oracle 10g/11g preferred
Must be a citizen and be able to hold a security clearance. You do not need a current/active clearance to apply, but must be able to pass a government security background investigation.