Succint "rules" of counter offers
Or why you shouldn't take them...
"1. You get a job offer.
2. You accept it.
3. You quit.
4. Current company makes you a counter offer.
5. You accept it.
6. You call new company and say you changed your mind.
7. New company get pissed at you for wasting their time.
8. Current company puts the screws to you, because they now know you don't
have the b@lls to leave.
9. Current company now starts training someone else to do your job someday.
10. Next company wide lay-off, you find yourself part of it.(Oh, don't bother calling the other company back)"
I saw that and it said things as well if not better than I've seen it before, so I had to steal it.