Senior Embedded Systems Developer
· Developed and wrote the firmware for a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) toll tag for the California FasTrak system using a low-cost microprocessor after receiving only minimal requirement documentation. The resulting tag has longer battery life and lower manufacturing cost than the design it replaces. Current production is in excess of 500,000 unit per year.
· Ported embedded Linux variants to Coldfire and PPC processors. Tasks included building GNU toolsets, developing board support packages, and kernel configuration. This action saved the customer thousands of dollars in one-time and recurring license fees.
· Designed, implemented, and deployed the software for an RFID reader used at a point-of-sale terminal in less than six weeks. The task included configuring and porting a commercial TCP/IP stack for use in a DSP with limited memory and a non-standard char length. The resulting prototypes allowed the customer to meet a critical deadline.
· Designed and implemented the software for the RFID and communications control board used in Mobil Speedpass gasoline pumps. The new control board extended the life of the product for the customer.
· Responsible for the systems design and communications architecture of a multi-channel data collection tool. The design addressed real-time data access requirements coincident with highspeed inter-processor communications over a 20,000 to 25,000 foot wire-line cable. The resulting design allowed for a 100-fold increase in collected data and an 8 to 16-fold increase in the data transfer rate.
· Created and implemented the embedded hardware and software design for a hand-held, battery powered, utility data collection probe. Analyzed market requirements and assumed responsibility for all phases of the engineering and pre-production efforts. This action created a new, high margin product for client’s the existing market.
· Acting VP of Engineering for a RF / computer based start-up. Provided engineering direction and technical expertise for all aspects of the business. Conceived and implemented a new product line, taking it from concept to operational prototype in six weeks. This action gave the client company needed market focus and generated renewed customer interest.
· Designed, wrote, and integrated a database and automatic information gathering system to track network configuration and reliability for a major telecommunications carrier. The turnkey solution, containing over 13,000 lines of source code, was operational in less than six months. A US patent to cover the system was issued in 1998.
· Designed a 318 MHz. radio receiver for a customer's remote control application. The new receiver was more sensitive and less expensive than the previously purchased radio module.
· Designed and implemented hardware and PC based software for testing ceiling fan control boards. The final design was completed for less than half of the customer's original estimate.
Please contact the skill set owner if you have an imminent employment opportunity, or one currently available to discuss. Thank you.